Missing some or all your teeth can lower your confidence. It affects your public interaction and interferes with your speech pattern. Replacing the missing teeth in your mouth will boost your self-esteem and restore normal biting and chewing functions.
When you lose your teeth due to tooth decay, gum disease, or facial injuries, your facial muscles may sag, making you look older. Your dentist may recommend dentures to improve your smile and maintain your dental structure. At Indian Trail Dental Studio in Indian Trail, NC, we understand finding dentures can be challenging, and we are here to help you find the best option for yourself.
What Are Dentures
Dentures are removable replacements for missing teeth. Various types of dentures can help restore normal mouth functions and fill out the appearance of your face and profile. They resemble regular teeth and are customized to fit your dental structure.
Before your dentist fits the dentures, they have to wait for your inflamed gums to heal if you lost your teeth due to trauma or had a recent extraction. At first, dentures may feel very foreign to the mouth, resulting in excess drooling. It may require a couple of visits to the dentist and a short period to adapt to your new dentures.
Dentures offer the quickest and easiest solution to restoring a set of missing teeth. Modern dentures are made from solid, durable materials and match natural teeth and gums. They offer a high comfort level and can last a long time with proper dental hygiene care.
Types of Dentures
There are several types of dentures – some made with different materials, while some serve multiplepurposes of maintaining healthy gums. Tooth-loss level and jawbone density dictate the type of dentures that your dentist may recommend. Some of the different types of dentures are listed below.
A partial set of teeth or removable dentures are ideal for patients who want to only replace some missing teeth. They comprise a base made from a metal or plastic framework which supports the missing number of teeth. They also have clasps that grip the natural teeth and hold them in place.
- Durable due to the underlying framework
- Easily removable for cleaning
- Don’t break easily
- It can only be used to replace some missing teeth
- Prone to plaque buildup if not well-maintained
- Metal clasps may be visible when smiling
Also known as all-on-four dentures, implant-supported dentures are a permanent tooth replacement solution for patients who have lost their upper or lower teeth. They are a safe and effective option to help improve their smile and keep their mouth healthy.
Instead of resting on the gums, they are anchored to the jawbone via dental implants. Dental patients who choose this option must have a significant amount of high-quality bone in their jaw.
- Implants provide stability
- There are no dietary restrictions because of their strength
- They have a more natural feel and look
- It can last for a much more extended period than traditional dentures.
- They cost significantly more than traditional dentures
- Most insurance dental plans don’t cover them
- They require significant jawbone density
They are almost similar to implant-supported dentures, but they can be connected or removed with some light pressure. They are ideal for replacing a row of missing teeth. They use implants screwed to the jawbone to stay firm and aligned.
- They prevent bone loss
- Provide a more secure fit than conventional dentures
- Eliminates denture adhesives due to their superior retention
- They require surgery to place the implants
- Significantly more expensive than traditional dentures
- Candidates must have healthy jawbones
A complete set of dentures are ideal for people who want to replace entire teeth in their upper and lower gums. They sit on top of the gums and may need denture adhesive to hold them firmly in place.
- A quick and cost-effective option for restoring your smile and the eating and chewing functions
- Easy to maintain
- Easy to adapt
- It may slip out of place when chewing
- It can break if not handled properly
- Not suitable for chewing tough foods
Dentures offer a quick solution to missing teeth and improve the appearance of your smile. They also maintain your mouth’s structure by preventing bone loss. Dental patients with new dentures can chew and enjoy their favorite foods, improving their diet and nourishing them.
We offer comprehensive denture services to help you replace your missing teeth and regain your smile. Contact us today at Indian Trail Dental Studio to schedule your denture appointment!